Participants must hold a Leaving Certificate, Equivalent Qualification and / or have relevant life and work experience.
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide effective customer service within a work, social or voluntary environment, operating independently while under general supervision.
Skills Demonstration (50%)
Portfolio / Collection of Work (50%)
On completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Examine the principles of customer service within a range of environments
- Identify the key features of good customer service, to include distinguishing between different kinds of customers, making a good first impression, meeting customer needs, catering for diversity and disability, understanding and responding to customer perceptions
- Explain the standards or rating system by which customer service is developed and measured in an industry-specific area
- Identify, for a vocationally-specific area, key elements of consumer legislation and the functions of associated regulatory organisations providing customer protection, representation and redress
- Explain how customer service enhances organisational effectiveness and success, to include practical examples of organisations with good customer care
- Describe how customer perceptions can be influenced, to include elements such as the physical environment, printed materials, the personal presentation and conduct of a customer contact person
- Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers, to include active listening skills, positive body language and observation of customer behaviour
- Use appropriate communication technologies to include, telephone, audio visual, conferencing, email and other interactive media in a range of customer service situations
- Use written and verbal skills to include appropriate style, language and tone
- Demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care, to include allocation of roles and responsibilities, good communication and feedback, awareness of personal strengths and weaknesses when dealing with customers.
5N0972: Customer Service
The course is aimed at Customer Service Representatives who wish to deal with customers directly.